COLUMBIA, MARYLAND-BASED Baywood Hotels set a record in 2019 by opening 18 new hotels during the year. Among them was the 1000th Fairfield by Marriott, and the company also broke ground on its first modular-built hotel.
The new hotels comprise 1,619 rooms and include 13 Hilton Worldwide brands, four Marriott International brands and one Intercontinental Hotels Group brand. Also, 15 were ground-up construction, two were acquisitions and one was a conversion.
“2019 was a pivotal year for Baywood Hotels,” President Al Patel said. “Our talented development and operations team have worked tirelessly to add 18 hotels to our portfolio, further aligning our strategy to partner with premium brands in growing markets. Our efforts reinforce our position as an industry leader in development, ownership and management.”
Some of the openings include the following:
- Fairfield Inn and Suites Denver Tech Center North (Marriott’s 1,000th Fairfield)
- AC Hotel by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Asheville Biltmore Village
- Canopy by Hilton Ithaca Downtown (First Canopy in New York State)
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin Downtown
- Home2 Suites & Tru by Hilton San Antonio Lackland SeaWorld
- Homewood Suites & Tru by Hilton Denver Airport Tower Road
Baywood added 15 hotels to their portfolio in 2018 and are projected to add 14 more properties in 2020. The company holds more than $1 billion in assets and employs more than 3,000 people.
In August, Baywood held a “stacking” event its first modular built project, the Hilton Garden Inn San Jose/Fremont in Fremont, California, Aug. 12 to kick off construction of the 145-room hotel. The five-story building, expected to open later this year, will include a full-service restaurant and bar and 12 EV charging stations.